Thursday 14 September 2017

Goblin Samurai Taisho


A realm of hurt shalt be thine!
Greetings vaqueros! Last time I showed you Odor Gobonaga, the daimyo of my greenskin samurai forces. Today we are looking at his two right-hand goblins, retainers Killa Snagahide and Smashida Hideousi.



Killa Snagahide and his faithful squig, Kubi
First up, Snagahide is a new(ish) sculpt from Kev Adams, that I got from the Greenskin Wars kickstarter run by Diego of Knightmare Miniatures (squig sold seperately. On eBay). Hopefully you will all be able to buy one from their webstore in the future as this mini is top-notch. Kev sure packed a lot of detail in there, including his trademark hum0rous faces all over the place, extended middle finger and innumerable exciting scales on his armour that were just so much fun to paint...

I thoroughly enjoyed highlighting and shading each individual goddamned scale
With his aggreassive stance and impressive dental records, this guy is the perfect, potentially psychotic samurai goblin to help carry out Gobonaga's evil schemes. His little banner is a separate piece (don't lose it) that adds that extra, perfect bit of samurai flair - and it's a neat place to paint an even smaller version of whatever fiddly design you decided to give your force that you now probably regret.

Smashida Hideousi
The other half of this duo is Hideousi, another Bob Olley sculpt from the OOP Clan War range. Much like his boss, he is a menacing figure, chock full of character and murderous intent. Like most of the sculpts in the Clan War range, a huge amount of effort was put in to realise the details of his armour, and his equipment shows all the rust and damage you'd expect from prized goblin heirlooms.

He has an exceptionally well-armoured anus
The concept behind these two reprobates is to mimic the command structure of historic feudal Japanese warlords and their retinues - the daimyo had retainers, who led units of blade wielding samurai, less well equipped ashigaru, and regiments of warriors mounted on stone temple dogs, all of which are now sadly frozen outside of ornamental gardens and your favourite local takeaways.

These three miniatures make up my first completed unit for the Dragon Rampant fantasy wargaming ruleset, a game that uses divisors of 12 to make up units, a task that dangerously challenges my limited mathematical skill. With this fearsome trio at the helm, great victories are all but assured!

These boys are ready to start some trouble...

And what's next? Well, since we're already dragging the fine and honourable traditions of the samurai through the mud, why not some samurai rats!

Their patience for your lousy cultural appropriation is whisker thin.
Adios for now!




28 comments:

  1. The colours are marvellous and the result is easy to red and as enjoyable as can be. Perfect !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mec, I really like the way these guys turned out, they look darn good together... must paint more... MOAR!

      Delete
  2. Great work. The mustard yellow works really well.

    I want to see courtiers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D Goblins in geisha makeup are surely only a sale or two away...

      Delete
  3. These are FANTASTIC. Super cool colour scheme, extra fab mini choices. You done good son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr, it's always a pleasure laying bristles on and Olley or an Adams, not a hard choice there at all! :D

      Delete
  4. Ermergerd, you did a blog! Goblins and Samuria are two design schools I didn't think I'd ever see mashed together. Nice touch with the glyphs on the sashimonos.

    Have they all got Girlp... I mean sho3box-style dice holders on the back of the base?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, yes. Little tiny yellow dice will reside there, once I figure out where in this mess they have been buried. Fun should always be standardized, as dear Cheetor always says! :D

      Delete
  5. Fantastic Work Crooksy...Glad to see you still in the game and being productive. Have you have a game of Dragon Rampant? I didn't get along with the rules myself but am curious as to your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our little group have been slowly, slowly working our way towards painted forces for our debut game ;) I'll be sure to document it here so you can see how much we loved it :D

      Delete
  6. What a trio of reprobates! Can't wait to see what kind of mischief they will get into. ;) Are you liking Dragon Rampant? I wasn't to impressed my first go around. I might have to give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the structure and how much freedom of expression it encourages. Beyond that I'm still a DR noob so you'll have to tune in when we get our first game in :D you'll HAVE to. NO CHOICES.

      Delete
  7. Faaaaarrkkkk! That desk is about to avalanche like a MOFO Homey. It makes it all the more impressive that you can paint minis to a high standard when you work in a mess like that :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This hang-up you have over my overarching mess is something you're gonna have to come to terms with dude - The Mess is a force of nature that cannot be tamed, and it is the wellspring of my inspiration. Also last time I tried to tidy up, *something* bit me... :s

      Delete
  8. You only blog for the attention. But i do like your gobboes. They will not be troubling my Hobgoblins though, they are too small and too green! I have set my timer running and we shall see how long it is till the next post ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now look here, you, I blog for the people, so they can wallow in my awesomeness. It's not about ME. It's about YOU...loving ME.

      Delete
  9. You only blog for the attention. But i do like your gobboes. They will not be troubling my Hobgoblins though, they are too small and too green! I have set my timer running and we shall see how long it is till the next post ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you're just being repetitive. Get some new material moite.

      Delete
  10. The last few times I've imitated your antics, things have turned out really poorly for all involved... But thanks to these lovely paint jobs, I do want to imitate your antics again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I decided go swimming with the bullsharks in my meat-briefs I warned you kids not to try it at home...

      Delete
  11. Good job at tying the different sculpts together. These are full of character (as goblins should be).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers :D goblinoids, like humanoids, come in all shapes, sizes and colours. Which is why I should stop painting them all the same uniform shade of green :s

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Cheers, they are a very satisfying start to what should be a very fun force to look at and hopefully play with :D

      Delete
  13. They look great, but I don't envy painting the armor. Perhaps I'll have to take a look at these sorts of things as proxies for 4th edition Hobgoblins. As with most things, the price seems to astronomically go up as soon as I start searching for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a shame the Olley's are now oop, they are such a cool range. I wish you the best of luck!

      Delete
  14. Awesome paintjob.

    ReplyDelete