Monday 14 May 2018

Mordheim Ogre




Greetings vaqueros! Today I'm going to show you this Marauder Ogre Hero I have painted up for my Mordheim Marienburger warband.

There are a number of factions in the Mordheim core rulebook, the majority are human, or used to be human. Of the human factions, each has their own flavour. Reiklanders are the military lads, with bonuses to leadership and with the best marksmen,  Middenheimers are STRONG, and Marienburgers have ALL the money. They get an extra 100GC to spend at the start of a campaign, which encourages a couple of different approaches - you can either buy a few mercenaries that are very well equipped, or you can max out your numbers to prevent an early rout and give yourself a better chance of winning battles for that sweet sweet XP.


OR YOU CAN BUY A BIG FAT OGRE.

"Does my all of me look big in this?"
Hiring an ogre at the start of a campaign is not a wise choice, but it is a fun choice - the idea of a puff 'n slash ogre for my Marienburgers was too amusing to pass up, and gave me a good excuse to finally get some paint on the big fella. The fiddly bits of the outfit were slightly less fiddly on his big frame than they would be on a human sized mini, but it was still... fiddly. And typically, the majority of that fine detail was on the back of the model, traditionally not the most appealing or visible side!

The choice to add a small dog to the base was an impulsive one - I bought a whole pile of Reaper animal friends and familiars and this little pug was amongst them. When I was seeking inspiration for sprucing up that big round base, this little dog just seemed 'right' standing next to the hulking ogre. It also ties in with the monkey on the shoulder of my captain. I don't think I'll be adding animals to every member of the band, but I really like this pairing!

"I will call him Chow-Chow and he will be my lunch"

I knew this was a nice model from the get-go, but I didn't discover the wealth of amazing detail until I actually started painting him - the ragged finery, the pistol hat-pin, the pepper-box pistol for an earring! I initially found it all a bit daunting, and there was a very long gap between starting him and eventually finishing him off, but I'm very glad I persevered.

An ogre in Mordheim is a dangerous threat, but also an expensive one to keep - it will be interesting to see how he fares in the City of the Damned. At least he won't go hungry...

And what's next? CATOBLEEEEPAAAAAS!

"Uhhhm.... 'moo'... I think? Is that what I do?"


Adios till next time!


18 comments:

  1. Why are incongrouous puff and slash wearing types so damn badass? They are though.

    Great painting on a rad model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D puff 'n slash (I can't spell landsnechtcht) is daunting to paint but very rewarding, visually - I'm glad these odd models exist!

      Delete
  2. YES!!!! The landmine links are back!!!! :DDD

    Great to see you blogging again, and with a big hulking brute kitted out in ponce attire to boot.

    He looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Papa, hopefully one day he can break some chaos skulls when we eventually get together for some games :D

      Delete
  3. I like the ogre's face, you can tell he's hurried the photo is done because he knows the pug is about to piss on his pants (just check his left rear leg.
    He already washed his trousers last months and he's sick of doing it ALL THE TIME.

    For what it's worth, a Catoblepas actually sounds more like "MOOEEEEHH"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your catoblepas knowledge is remarkable - I bow to sensei. I expect dog wee could only make an ogre's pants cleaner, but landshchnekte ogres are a different breed...

      Delete
  4. I can always remember how to spell "landsknecht" as I think "land's knight" and then make my fingers type in a comedy German accent.

    Lovely work on the Ogre. There's always something about figures with hands-on-hips that makes them camply imposing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, my fingers only speak Spanish... :(

      Delete
    2. Caballeros de la MOOOOEEEEHH

      Delete
    3. I said my FINGERS Lopez. You'll have to type that in Braille.

      Delete
  5. The ogre is great, but the little dog amplifies the greatness ten fold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just picture him ambling along into battle, huffing and puffing as his little legs try to keep up with an ogre sized charge!

      Delete
  6. Great model, the addition of the pug is inspired. Where the hell did you get the Catoblepas from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catoblepas is an old Ral Partha sculpt I sourced from the Old School Miniatures trading page on FB. It is a classic dumb monster and I've always wanted one :)

      Delete
  7. A vibrant and delicious presentation of THE best Warhammer Ogre of all time. All that puff and slash is clearly the ideal fashion choice for a gentleman of his stature. And he wears it so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you had such strong thoughts on this guy! :D He sure makes a statement with his giant feather and hands on hips pose. I wouldn't mess with him. I'd probably mess with the pug.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Warburton :D Who doesn't love a pug eh? :D

      Delete